Custodial death: HC directs govt to pay Rs 5 lakh to victim’s kin

Bhubaneswar: n a significant judgment, the Odisha High Court on Wednesday directed the state government to give Rs 5 lakh as compensation to the families of Lalit Dehury, who died in the Chamakhandi police custody last year.
The court also directed the government to deposit 75 per cent of total money as fixed deposit in a bank and the rest 25 per cent to be given as cash.
It may be noted that on February 28 last year, the officials of Chamakhandi police station of Ganjam district had allegedly arrested Lalit for keeping weapons illegally in his possession, but on the very next day, he was found dead inside the police station.
Protesting the police behaviour and alleging the hand of the police in the custodial death, the family members of Lalit had appealed in the High Court.
In a similar judgment on the death of UTP Rajkishore Parida of Injana village under Mancheswar police station here, who had allegedly died of negligence in jail on November 5, 2003, the High Court on directed the state government to pay Rs 5 lakh as compensation to the kin of Parida.

About these ads

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: